The Chesapeake Amateur Radio Service is hosting an Amateur Radio test session. This session will be led by our lead VE Coordinator Bill Runyon WF4R and walk-ins are allowed.
When: Saturday March 27, 2021 11:30am
Where: CARS Shack (116 Reservation Road, Chesapeake, VA 23322)
Every candidate taking a test for an Amateur Radio License MUST have an FCC Federal Registration Number (FRN). This means each candidate MUST logon to the FCC ULS system and register for an FRN prior to the test session. A Social Security Number is no longer acceptable for an FCC license application.
The fee is $15. This one fee pays for one attempt at each of the three exam elements. If a candidate fails an element at an exam session and wants to re-test for the same element, an additional fee will be required.
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, all attendees are required to bring and wear a mask. The testing site will be setup to support social distancing requirements.
What to Bring to an ARRL Exam Session
1. One legal photo ID (identification):
a. State Driver’s License
b. Government issued Passport
c. Military or Law Enforcement Officer Photo ID card
d. Student School Photo ID card
e. State Photo ID card
2. If no photo ID is available, two forms of identification:
a. Non-photo State ID card (some states still have them)
b. Birth certificate (must have the appropriate seal)
c. Social security card
d. Employer’s wage statement or Minor’s work permit
e. School ID card
f. School or Public Library card
g. Utility bill, bank statement or other business correspondence
that specifically names the person; or a postmarked envelope
addressed to the person at his or her current mailing address
as it appears on the Form 605.
3. (if applicable) Student/Minor Candidate ID: Students/minors without a photo ID need to bring only one of the above items if a legal guardian presents their photo ID; otherwise two non-photo IDs are required. Minor children (under the age of 18) may be accompanied in the room by an adult during the test.
4. FCC Registration Number (FRN): VECs are required by the FCC to submit your FRN with your license application form. New license applicants should create an FCC user account and register their Social Security Number (SSN) in the FCC Commission Registration System (CORES) before attending exam sessions. Registrants will be assigned an FRN which will be used in all license transactions with the FCC. For instructions on how to register your SSN and receive an FRN from the FCC, visit the FCC’s Registration page and the FCC’s Registration instructions page. Per FCC rules, a valid email address is also mandatory on the application form.
5. (if applicable) Copy of Existing Amateur Radio license and CSCE: Currently licensed operators should bring a printed copy of either your official Amateur Radio license or a reference copy available from the FCC website, or the original(s) and photocopy(s) of any Certificates of Successful Completion of Examination (CSCE) you may hold from previous exam sessions. If your license has already been issued by FCC, the CSCE showing license credit is not needed. The photocopy(s) will not be returned.
6. #2 Pencils: Two number two pencils with erasers and a pen for in-person sessions.
7. Calculator: A calculator with the memory erased and formulas cleared is allowed. You may not bring any written notes or calculations into the exam session. Slide rules and logarithmic tables are acceptable, as long as they’re free of notes and formulas. Cell phone must be silenced or turned off during the exam session and the phones’ calculator function may not be used. In addition, iPhones, iPads, Androids, smartphones, Blackberry devices and all similar electronic devices with a calculator capability, may NOT be used.
8. Exam Session Fee Payment: Bring a check, a money order or cash to cover the $15.00 exam session fee.
9. Be aware that some information about you will be made publicly available on the FCC’s website: FCC Licensee Privacy